Mornings with Meds

Medications in our family are a way of life.  When the kitchen cupboard is
opened, the number of pill bottles makes it look like a pharmacy.  Yours, mine and ours (and even the dogs).

Invisible 411: If mornings are difficult, I found it a lot easier to
start to the day is bring the meds to my kids.  It’s great ‘kick
start’ for a possible hectic morning.

I learned this valuable lesson when George had mornings that started early.
I recall a morning when George was traveling with his Jr. High Speech Team and we had to be at the school before the sun rose.  (Yes we. I was asked to assist with the judging, which meant I was helping chaperone the bus rides. ~Oh yeah!)

This particular morning I was feeling really great.  House was in order,
coffee made, and I was ready to go up to George and give him his meds.  I would
head into the shower and do my thing while he would carry out his morning
rituals.  So I grabbed his meds in my left hand, and my coffee cup in my
right.  I headed up the stairs, and without thinking I threw the meds into my mouth, took a sip, and swallow the wonderful tasting fresh coffee, and STOP!!!  I took his drugs!  I just slammed down 40 mg of Aderal XR and 100 mg of Zoloft.  I stopped on the stairs to think…oh my God, what do I do? Should I throw up? Call 911?  My mind was racing, and as I reached the top, I rushed to George’s room.  I pushed his legs over so
I could sit down on the edge of his bed, and I told him what had happened.  I was in a panic, and he knew it.  I will never forget the look on his face after I told him. I sat there
waiting to hear what great wisdom this 13-year-old had to share with me.  “Mom, If I can take them on a daily bases, and I am ok, nothing will happen, don’t worry.”  As nervous as I was, I knew he had to be right, so we got up to get ready.

 I was anxious, but everything appeared to go ok for the morning.  We headed to the school, rode the bus, and arrived at the competition.   I headed to my room and was ready to start judging ‘Great Speeches’.  Then it hit.  I felt like I was on speed (I think!).  I couldn’t write, my emotions began jumping all over the place, and the floodgates in my eyes opened as I listened to the competitors.  Then I became a blubbering idiot, and after the round was over I followed the kids telling them how great they were.  Everyone looked at me like I was NUTZ.  I knew what I was doing, but I couldn’t help it.  I started feeling better around lunchtime, and not much later, exhaustion set in hard and fast.  I gained an appreciation for why George seems to be so tired after school, and I learned by taking these medications, that they have an effect on focusing and on emotions.  In hindsight, I’m glad it happened, but it sure made for a frantic morning, plus a once-in-a-lifetime emotional rollercoaster ride.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s